Hey, remember this gateway playlist post from last week? The one about a playlist to coerce a non classical music listener over to the dark side? Right, well, I started discussing it with Aram, one of my Twitter followers, and at some point it came out that I am somewhat leery of jazz. As in, I took a course in jazz history in college and I’m still wary (Hi Dr. Schweitzer!). Although I get an enormous kick out of saying Dizzy Gillespie. Dizzy Gillespie Dizzy Gillespie Dizzy Gillespie. Yes.
Where was I? Oh yes. Aram. He’s jazztastic with the saxophone and felt my jazzphobia needed to be corrected. I told him that I did have a fondness for Gershwin and vocal jazz a la Judy Garland, and with that and only his youth and hope to guide him he made me a Jazz Phobic’s Gateway Playlist. Really! So says the man himself!
I’m a senior at Lebanon Valley College near Harrisburg, PA, and in May I’ll be graduating with degrees in Music Education and Music with a Jazz Studies concentration. I’ve been listening to jazz since I started to play the saxophone in fourth grade and enjoy sharing my passion for it with others.
The goal of the playlist was to take the classical music listener to modern style jazz in baby steps, working through standards and some more obscure selections. Obviously there are a lot of directions that this can be taken – many of these choices are made based on my personal preferences as well as what you said about liking vocal jazz. I’m by no means an expert, but it’s a fun little thought experiment to make something like this…
Remember, if you’d like me to make a gateway playlist for someone or you’d like me to post one of yours, drop me a line.
Playlist after the cut!
Hey Aram, I wasn’t sure about formatting for most of these, so if I messed something up let me know.
- Rhapsody in Blue, by George Gershwin
- Stanza 3: The Handsome Traffic Policeman, by Duke Ellington
- C’ Jam Blues, by Duke Ellington
- Jumpin’ at the Woodside, by Count Basie
- Mack the Knife, by Bobby Darin
- “They Can’t Take That Away from Me” from Crazy For You, by Sarah Vaughan
- Margie, by Maceo Parker
- Bugle Call Rag, by Buddy Rich
- Blues March, by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
- Straight, No Chaser, by Thelonious Monk (also fun to say!)
- Mumbles, by Clark Terry
- The Jody Grind, by Horace Silver
- Blue Bossa, by Bobby McFerrin
- Bags’ Groove, by the Modern Jazz Quartet
- Blue Monk, by Bill Evans
- St. Thomas, by Sonny Rollins
- Mr. P. C., by John Coltrane
- ‘C Jamm Blues,’ by Gerald Albright
- Chronology, by Ornette Coleman
- Soon All Will Know, by Wynton Marsalis
- Bubblehouse, by Medeski, Martin, and Wood
- Jubilee, by Spyro Gyra
- The Bridge, by Sonny Rollins